Sunday, August 20, 2017

Play Like a Pirate

I've begun reading Play Like a Pirate by Quinn Rollins. I love this book! Rollins has an excellent sense of humor and provides so many unconventional ways to include play in the classroom.

There are three sections in this book: Toys, Games, and Comics (superheroes and the like).

At the end of each section, there are a few reflection questions. Here are my reflections after reading the first section:

  1. What favorite toy from your childhood could you share with your students?
    • I loved playing with Polly Pockets. I had some of the really tiny ones--the ones that are so tiny they don't make them anymore!--as well as some of the larger ones that had rubber clothes and tiny accessories to go with the doll. I like the ideas that Rollins included in his book about designing action figures or Barbie dolls in the classroom. I could use a similar idea to have students design a mini Polly Pocket playhouse. An historical figure, say, Abraham Lincoln, could be the mini figure. The Polly Pocket playhouse that students design could have a room for each of Lincoln's accomplishments or problems that he dealt with. For example, a "Gettysburg Address" room, "Civil War" room, "13th Amendment" room, etc. In my government class I could have students design the White House, the U.S. Capitol Building, or the roles of the President as a Polly Pocket playhouse. Students could also design a Polly Pocket historical figure, including clothing and accessories.
       
  2. How could you use other classic toys in your class?
    • I like the idea of designing a Mr. Potato Head version of an historical figure, or using green army men to depict an historical battle.
       
  3. What parts of your curriculum fit best with toys?
    • Almost all parts of my curriculum fit with toys! Especially after reading the first section of Play Like a Pirate, I see how easy it is to infuse play with learning.
       
  4. How could asking your students to tell about their favorite toys build your classroom climate?
    • If my students are able to discuss their favorite toys and interests, they'll become excited about the possibilities of using those toys to learn. My students will be able to connect with one another and might discover that other students have similar interests. Also, adding an element of fun doesn't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment