Thursday, March 21, 2019

5 E's: Exploration

This is one of my reflections from my class, Classroom Strategies for Inquiry-Based Learning.


My Experience with Learning Through Exploration


I like to learn things on my own, often by trial and error. One example is when I learned how to make websites by manipulating the html code. I was a middle schooler that was interested in creating art in MS Paint (yep, that was my “calling!”) and I wanted to post it online. In order to do that, I had to learn html. It wasn’t as easy to create websites then, as it is now! I loved trying a new html code and seeing it come to life on the screen. It could be frustrating if even one digit or character was misplaced, but I greatly enjoyed learning the language of html.

I was curious about how html worked, persistent in trying to get the html correct, and proud of myself for being able to master the skill.


Relationship Between Exploration and Learning


If a person is interested, he or she can certainly learn through exploration. Exploration is necessary in order for people to gain perseverance, as well as to show that in order to learn things independently, some trial and error is necessary.


Takeaways from this Module

Once students are comfortable with taking risks, they engage themselves deeper into exploration, allowing for deeper learning.

It's absolutely true that students learn more if they are in charge of their learning. I have found that when students are given an over-arching research question (or they come up with a research question on their own) and are given the time and resources to explore and search for answers (whether through reading or experimentation), students often find new knowledge that even I did not anticipate or did not notice. Students are very observant and should be given an opportunity to practice this skill.


Engaging students in exploration is essential. Students need chances to take risks and try to find information on their own, as this is an essential skill post-graduation as well. The exploration stage also encourages students to try new things and discover new knowledge on their own or through collaboration with their peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment