Sunday, March 3, 2019

5 E's: Engagement

This is one of my reflections from my class, Classroom Strategies for Inquiry-Based Learning.

Engaging students right away and keeping their interest throughout the lesson is incredibly important in order to motivate students. I start some of my lessons with engaging "hooks," but not every lesson. After completing this module, I understand more thoroughly the importance of engaging students at the beginning of every class. I am going to be more deliberate about including an engaging hook at the beginning of each and every class period.






Here are some ideas that I have for types of engaging hooks that I could include:
  • Short video (as a class, or EdPuzzle)
  • Thought-provoking question
  • Share your opinion
  • Riddle/brain-teaser
  • Image - What is happening in the image? What do you see?
  • Historical quote
  • Mini-simulation
  • Game (content-related, possibly a review game)
  • Perspective - imagine yourself in another person's shoes
  • Connect to students' prior knowledge
  • Connect to students' personal experiences
  • Connect to pop culture
  • Show a clip from a historical movie - How accurate is the clip?
  • Pictionary (could draw, use Play-Doh, or Legos)
  • Charades
  • Math problem (in a Social Studies context)

No comments:

Post a Comment