Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Shake Up Learning: Ch. 6: Breaking Barriers and Bad Habits

Some of my assignments and projects allow students the opportunity to choose a topic, medium, and form of presentation, but I could expand this to more assignments. Some students benefit from teacher-led instruction as well. I could offer more of this as a centers-based activity. Allow students to work individually, collaboratively, or with me, their teacher. I’m also adding flexible seating this year to allow students to find a place in the room where they can concentrate the best.

In my gamified class, behavior is already completely separate from the grade in the class. I do still take off a maximum of 10% for late work. I can work to get rid of this, but I have to have an alternative to add to my gamified class. Including a consequence in the game will separate the behavior from the grade, but it must be compelling enough to show kids the importance of turning in their work on time.

Behavior and learning are measured completely separately in my classes. All assignments and assessments are based on learning targets, which are based on standards and essential learning outcomes. I have to alter this quite a bit in the next couple years, as Wisconsin’s standards for Social Studies are changing in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment