Thursday, July 26, 2018

Shake Up Learning: Ch. 17: Facilitating With Finesse

Because many activities are open-ended, I find that I don’t have to guide my students too much as a whole group. This frees me up to facilitate. I also package my digital assignments which saves a lot of instruction time, as all of the instructions are listed on Google Classroom already. We also use some protocols, so students are very familiar with certain activities just a few weeks into the school year. I don’t have to instruct the students on what they are going to do because they already know the drill. I like to be pretty hands-off and allow my students to discover for themselves. Prepping activities ahead of time and anticipating misconceptions makes this process a lot easier.

Last year I had a Smart Board that I despised. It froze often, not allowing us to project things, which was a huge pain when students were doing presentations (and we do presentations a lot!). Because we are 1:1, a couple students were ok with me pushing out their project digitally through Google Classroom so the other students could follow along on their screens instead of looking at the Smart Board. I don’t always like doing this because students can get sidetracked, but they were very respectful in listening to the presenter due to the circumstances. I am always prepared with a plan B just in case, because technology is not always reliable. There are other things that we have done on paper (like twitter “chats” on a large poster board) because we could not do the same activity online. Sometimes the students like a change of pace!

I suppose I don’t use any specific strategies for facilitation, but I like to allow students to collaborate in groups. This encourages students to work together and ask each other questions that would normally be asked to me. This frees me up to sit with a group and help them through a concept if they are struggling. I try to circulate as much as possible, too, without looking like I can’t stand still. I make sure to visit each and every group, asking for clarification, or just listening to their discussion. At the beginning of the year, many students get quiet when the teacher comes around because they don’t want to be wrong, but they get much more comfortable with this as the year goes on.

I love the idea of student tech experts. I’m thinking of adding this as a job in my gamified class, and students can earn Gold Points that they can use in our classroom economy. I know this will really encourage some students to be more involved with other students and it will empower them. I think it is a really powerful way to get students involved.

I give feedback on digital assignments through commenting. We do a lot in G Suite, and comments are an excellent way to give feedback. I try to give feedback as students are working on assignments, but I don’t see many of the assignments until they are turned in. I should find a new way of doing this. My students also give peer feedback sometimes, but we should do more of this too. I have experienced students sharing their work with other students and the other students proofreading and leaving comments, doing peer feedback without my prompting. I talk to these students individually and commend them for finding an honest and productive way to improve their work. Many students think this is cheating and they hide it, so they are surprised when I tell them that it is beneficial and is what many adults do, as well.

I assess digital work the same way that I would assess a hard copy assignment. I’m unsure of how to describe this. I do want to change how I assign points, though. I would like to grade less and give feedback more. I would like to have digital work shared with me when it has just been created instead of after it has been turned in. I can do this if I use Google Classroom to create a copy of an assignment or a blank Google Doc or all of my students. Then I can see their progress before it is turned in, as I am the owner of the document.

For long-term projects, we have weekly goals and check-ins. We do National History Day projects from September until February. Every week there is a new assignment and students complete it, turn it in, and see their feedback. They are held accountable for completing the assignment for that week and if they don’t, I have a record and can work with them to get it completed during study hall time. I have a master Google Sheet where I keep track of each week’s assignments (completion, grade, if it’s late, etc.) If students are chronically late with the weekly assignments, I look into why that is happening - for some, they need help with citations, they can’t find sources for their obscure topic, they need accommodations, etc. I find out why it is happening and can help them to get back on track. The sheet is a life saver!

No comments:

Post a Comment