Saturday, March 2, 2019

Thoughts About Micro-Credentialing and Badging

This is one of my reflections from my class, Leading Change: Go Beyond Gamification with Gameful Learning.
How might you support your learners in getting micro-credentials for extra-curricular learning?

In my classes, students already earn experience points (XP) for following expectations and completing various tasks. Offering XP for completing micro-credentials could be an option as well.

I have had students create art projects outside of class just to earn XP. I could create similar experiences and challenges in which students earn XP and badges from those challenges.

I’m not entirely sure how to integrate this system with existing micro-credentials in the area, but I will conduct some research into that aspect.

What might be the advantages of connecting your formal learning context with an organization that offers digital badges? 

Connecting my classes with an organization that offers digital badges will tap into the motivations of students who are the “achiever” gamer type. These students (like myself, as I fit into this category) strive to earn as many badges or achievements as possible, and badges can be a concrete way of showing the achievement of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment