Thursday, December 27, 2018

Legacies of WWI - National History Day Class (in conjunction with the U.S. WWI Centennial Commission)


This semester I took part in a class offered by National History Day (partnered with the U.S. World War One Centennial Commission) titled, Legacies of WWI. I heard about the opportunity through an NHD newsletter, where I also learned that there was a scholarship available. I was one of 114 teachers in the United States to earn the scholarship and I am so glad I decided to take the class! (Read more about the scholarship and the first module of the class here.)

I learned a great deal about how to teach WWI. Even though I left with more questions than I had going in, the experience was so valuable in showing me that there is a lot more to learn than I had originally thought, and the new questions have motivated me to continue to pursue new knowledge about WWI especially.

The class consisted of primary and secondary source readings, online discussions, and incredible webinars with historians/professors/authors.

Over the next few posts I am going to share the reflections that I posted in the online class. The learning that I experienced is so valuable that I feel the need to share it!

Here are links to the blog posts that cover my reflections while taking this class:

Legacies of WWI: Causes of WWI
Legacies of WWI Module 1: The Why of WWI
Legacies of WWI Module 2: Women in WWI
Legacies of WWI Module 3: African Americans in WWI
Legacies of WWI Module 4: The Soldier's Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment