Monday, July 23, 2018

Shake Up Learning: Ch. 15: The Dynamic Learning Framework

Shake Up Learning - Dynamic Learning
My classes can be dynamic sometimes, but not as often as I'd like. I try to connect previous lessons with current lessons by using overarching themes. My history classes focus on the BAGPIPE themes (Beliefs, America in the World, Geography and Environment, Peopling, Identity, Politics and Power, Economics). We are always connecting back to the themes, and over time students see the connections between topics and events as well. This keeps our learning from being “we’re done with that” to “this is how it connects to the current day.” We also do the National History Day project, which we begin in September and present in February. Students research and revise throughout the year. Other than that, I need to incorporate more dynamic learning. I wrote about how I could do that in my blog: Opportunities for Dynamic Learning

I couldn’t say for sure what percentage of assignments in my classes are dynamic, but the number needs to be higher. I don’t know if I could make 100% of my assignment dynamic, but I will start by increasing dynamic assignments and decreasing my use of static assignments.

As a Social Studies teacher I often hear students say that the topics that we are covering don’t matter. It’s hard to convince a student that they do matter when all assignments are static. If the teacher is constantly giving students assignments that are over as soon as they are turned in, then there is no connection to the future. There is no connection to anything at all. The teacher, then, is assuring the student that the topic no longer matters after your assignment is graded. I don’t want that. I want my students to see the value in what they are learning, so they pay closer attention and become productive citizens who think about the consequences of their actions before they act. Utilizing dynamic assignments is one way that I can help my students to understand the importance of Social Studies.

Without even knowing what the 4 C’s were, I can say that I integrated them about half of the time. My students are given many opportunities to collaborate and communicate. I gave plenty of opportunities to think critically, though some of those opportunities were optional and students did not take advantage of them. I am aiming to incorporate the 4 C’s as much as I can from now on.



No comments:

Post a Comment